The need to develop a Richmond Valley Destination Management Plan was identified as an important priority by RVC following the establishment of a renewed strategic focus on the management of tourism for towns and villages across the Richmond Valley region.
The Richmond Valley Destination Management Plan 2021-2025 (DMP) was adopted by Council in February 2021, and builds on the previous Richmond Valley Tourism Management Plan.
The DMP sets an overall strategy to guide the work of Council and local stakeholders to support the sustainable growth and development of the Richmond Valley visitor economy as an appealing tourism region within the Northern Rivers region of NSW.
One of its key aims is to encourage tourism business investment in the area to support the ongoing development of diverse tourism offerings right across the Valley, from the coast to the rural hinterland.
Opportunities identified in the Plan include:
- The Pacific Highway upgrade has the potential to kick start visitor economy growth for Evans Head and change the access and appeal of Woodburn, Coraki, New Italy and Broadwater
- The Casino to Bentley Rail section of the Northern Rivers Rail Trail is a critical catalyst project which will help to enhance the visitor and investment appeal of Casino. The NSW Government approval for use of the railway lines between Casino and Bentley provides Casino with a distinct advantage over other LGAs to activate this project immediately
- Developing and positioning the Richmond Valley as a distinct walking, cycling and mountain bike tourism destination on the North Coast
- Increasing awareness and further activating nature-based tourism experiences provided by national parks, State forests, reserves, rivers and waterways
- Encouraging and supporting private sector investors to enhance existing and develop new tourism products is essential to attract visitors and to drive economic growth
- Attracting visitors year round is important to achieve sustained growth and viable businesses
- Growing and procuring a vibrant calendar of authentic destinations events which showcase the area and attract visitors year round
- Creating and promoting agri and cultural tourism experience trails to encourage visitor dispersal
- Establishing clear brand identity and positioning stories for Evans Head (coastal) and Casino (inland)
- Sustainable tourism development is important to continue to protect the Richmond Valley and its towns and villages as good places to live and visit
- Cooperation between Council and industry stakeholders is important to drive sustainable visitor economy growth and development.
The Richmond Valley Destination Management Plan is a living document, which provides an integrated framework and clear strategic directions to build a resilient visitor economy for the Richmond Valley region over the next four years. The successful implementation of this Plan will require participation and cooperation of tourism and business operators as part of a ‘whole-of-destination’ approach. The Plan can also be used as a resource to apply for relevant funding opportunities.
To download a copy, click below.