Make a Complaint

Make a Complaint

In Council’s Complaints Management Policy, a complaint is defined as:

“… an expression of dissatisfaction, made in respect to a Council officer’s role and/or Council in the provision of service delivery or lack of service delivery which has allegedly affected an individual, group or body of stakeholders whether justified or not.”

What is not a complaint

  • A request for service is an action request. Examples are reporting of road potholes, water leaks, dust and noise, overgrown allotments and dog issues. Visit the Request Action page.
  • A request for information or an explanation of a policy or procedure. Visit the Request Information page.
  • Objections to a development application before Council determination. Visit the Make a Submission page.
  • Objections/dissatisfaction in regard to regulatory notices which are challengeable/reviewable via Court or other processes.

How to make a complaint

All complaints (including those reporting sewer overflows) are for the attention of the General Manager. To make a complaint, use the following options:

Richmond Valley Council is a public authority covered by the NSW Ombudsman scheme.
The NSW Ombudsman is an independent integrity agency that pursues fairness for the people of NSW. It strives to ensure that those entrusted with public power and resources fulfil their responsibilities and treat everyone fairly.
For information about the NSW Ombudsman, including when and how you can make a complaint, visit:

If Council have not been able to resolve your complaint, and you believe we have done something wrong, you may be able to take your complaint to the NSW Ombudsman. To see when and how you may be able to make a complaint to the NSW Ombudsman visit:

All complaints (including those reporting sewer overflows) are for the attention of the General Manager. To make a complaint, please complete the form below:

  • Please include the name of any officer you have had dealings with, the date, time and location of events or of correspondence referred to in your complaint. After pressing submit your enquiry will be registered in our records system, ensuring direction to the most appropriate officer for a response within a timely manner.

Have Your Say...

Quick Contact

"*" indicates required fields

Search Council's website

Type your search query here to find relevant pages on the Richmond Valley Council site.