The Richmond Valley Council Local Government Area (LGA) is supplied by two separate mains water supply sources.
Casino is supplied from the Richmond River with water being drawn from the weir pool upstream from Jabour Weir and treated at the Casino Water Treatment Plant.
The Mid Richmond towns including Coraki, Evans Head, Broadwater, Riley’s Hill and Woodburn are supplied by the regions bulk water supplier, Rous County Council. This water is predominantly supplied from Rocky Creek Dam, however, during dry periods the Woodburn bore may be put into operation to augment the existing supply to all Mid Richmond towns except Coraki.
As the security of supply from each of these sources may differ at any time, water restrictions for Casino and the Mid Richmond towns may also differ. Residents should therefore check the current level of restrictions for the town in which they reside.
Casino and surrounds water restrictions
Richmond Valley Council is responsible for enforcing the water restrictions for all Richmond Valley Council retail water customers.
LEVEL THREE WATER RESTRICTIONS IN CASINO AND SURROUNDS
Water restrictions for Casino residents who receive a town water supply have been increased to level three on Monday 16 September following a prolonged dry period during winter with no significant rain.
For residents, level three water restrictions involve:
• No irrigation permitted.
• Use of buckets any time, or hand-held hoses for a maximum of 10 minutes every second day, between 4pm and 9am.
• Households with an even street number can only water on even numbered calendar days, and households with an odd street number can only water on odd calendar days
• Public gardens – no irrigation permitted
• Sports fields – sprinklers or hand-held hoses permitted for 15 minutes per day between 5am and 7am.
• Motor vehicle dealers, car detailing/repairs – buckets permitted, efficient high-pressure, low-flow rate cleaners with trigger control permitted every second day between 6am and 8am. Water use must be logged.
• New turf, lawns and gardens – watering in permitted for 30 minutes only on day of establishment, then 15 minutes every second day between 4pm and 9am up to 7 days after the date of establishment.
There are no water usage restrictions on local businesses NCMC, Norco, Holcim and others who require water as part of their essential business activities. Nor are there any restrictions on stock watering.
If you have any queries regarding the level of water restrictions currently in place in Casino please contact Council’s general enquiries number 6660 0300.
Comprehensive information on level three water restrictions is contained in the document at the bottom of this page.
Mid Richmond water restrictions (Broadwater, Coraki, Evans Head, Riley’s Hill, Woodburn)
There are no current water restrictions for the Mid Richmond towns of Coraki, Woodburn, Evans Head, Broadwater and Rileys Hill.
Rous County Council supplies the Mid Richmond and has advised via its website that level one water restrictions will be introduced when the water level in Rocky Creek Dam falls below 60 percent. It currently sits at 92 per cent.
If you have any queries regarding the level of water restrictions currently in place in the Mid Richmond please contact Rous County Council on the water restrictions hotline 1800 450 203.
Some facts and figures on water use:
• 10 minutes of hosing uses around 200 litres of water.
• Flush toilets typically use 50,000 litres of water per household per year.
• A continuously dripping tap wastes 600 litres per day.
• A 10-minute shower uses 200 litres.