Richmond Valley Council has operated Alcohol-Free Zones in Casino, Coraki and Evans Head for a number of years.
Alcohol-Free Zones allow Council to ban the consumption of alcohol on public roads, footpaths and car parks.
The zones can be enforced by authorised Council Officers or Police, and fines apply for non-compliance.
The current Alcohol Free Zones were originally established at the request of local Police, following concerns about anti-social behaviour and a series of serious offences that had been largely attributed to consumption of alcohol on Council’s streets. Local police support the re-establishment of the zones, as they have helped to reduce incidents of vandalism and litter and enhanced the safety of these public places.
Location of Alcohol-Free Zones – all public roads comprising and contained within the area bound by the following:
- A point on the northern bank of the Richmond River adjacent to West Street
- North along West Street to Johnston Street
- Johnston Street from West Street to Hickey Street
- Hickey Street from Johnston Street to Barker Street
- Barker Street from West Street to Hickey Street
- Canterbury Street from West Street to Wheat Street
- North Street from West Street to Hickey Street
- Richmond Street from West Street to Walker Street
- Walker Street from River Street to Johnston Street
- Centre Street from the Irving Bridge north to Johnston Street
- River Street from Centre Street to Walker Street
- Graham Place from Walker Street to Richmond Street
- Terminal Parade from Barker Street to Graham Place
- South along Hickey Street to Light Street
- West along Light Street to West Street
- North along West Street to the commencement position
- Richmond Terrace from Yabsley Street to Adams Street
- Bridge Street from Yabsley Street to Adams Street
- Martin Street from Queen Elizabeth Drive to Adams Street
- Parkes Street from Queen Elizabeth Drive to Richmond Terrace
- Grenfell Street from Queen Elizabeth Drive to Richmond Terrace
- Allwood Street from Queen Elizabeth Drive to Richmond Terrace
- Minto Street from Queen Elizabeth Drive to Richmond Terrace
- Park Street from Oak Street to Beech Street
- Beech Street from Park Street to the Surf Club car parking area adjacent to the Clubhouse and main beach parking area
- Oak Street from Woodburn Street to Park Street, except alfresco dining areas between 11.00am and 10.00pm
- Illawong Lane from Woodburn Street to Park Street
- Woodburn Street from Oak Street to Illawong Lane