The Northern Rivers Livestock Exchange is NSW’s premier livestock selling facility and provides business opportunities for the local industry weekly. Visitors are most welcome, and agents, sellers and associated users of the facility are encouraged to participate in some of the largest sales in the region.
Completed in 2020, the two-stage $14m upgrade of the NRLX marked a new era in livestock sales in Northern NSW.
The second stage of the Northern Rivers Livestock Exchange was fully funded by the NSW Government under the Restart NSW Growing Local Economies Program, part of the $1.7 billion Regional Growth Fund.
The entire holding section of the saleyard complex was redeveloped with a new roof, upgrades to holding pens, improved safety, and environmental upgrades, including rainwater recycling and wastewater treatment.
Technology across the entire complex was upgraded to allow livestock tracking and online selling.
The improved animal welfare standard achieved through the facility’s upgrade has ensured livestock are well presented along with best practice safety measures to ensure separation of people and the animals.
The two stages have delivered:
- Roof area 24,300 square metres, 162m X 150m
- 20,200 square metres of industry-standard soft floor at 150mm thickness
- Two semi-automatic, four-way pneumatic drafts and eight new drafting pens
- Installation of a veterinary crush adjacent to the pneumatic draft
- 50 new selling pens and 12 new dual-purpose mustering or selling pens
- Rail, gate and trough upgrade
- Stamped concrete in the draft area.
- New energy-efficient LED lighting and spotlights throughout
- IT capabilities for future live sale streaming and full CCTV security coverage
- Dust suppression sprays over soft floor
- Stormwater roof collection of 1,144 kilolitres into two new rainwater tanks
- Perimeter security fence and AVDATA entry gate technology
- Weighbridge and Scale area redesign for more efficient flow and processing
- Fully upgraded truck wash facility with B Double capable wash bays
- Specialised bull wash pens
- Full redesign and upgrade of rails and pens in the DIP area
- Solar panel technology for energy efficiency
- Extensive steelwork upgrade to rails and gates
- Full upgrade to receiving and delivery areas, including ramp scanners and cameras
- New 90-space sealed car park with line marking and traffic stops
- Extensive upgrades to the canteen and scale house
- Extension to the canteen building to create a new Administration hub
- Buyers lounge in the canteen for live sale viewing
- Specialised transit cattle yards with a new B Double ramp
- New maintenance shed
- Public paths and extensive information and safety signage throughout
- Significant environmental improvements with work on the stormwater channels, effluent ponds and discharge points
- Landscaping and outdoor furniture